Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Your own Saint Joseph County Public Library card
Getting a card at the public library
Did you know that Saint Mary's College students can get a card at the local public libraries in South Bend and Mishawaka? Here's how:
- Visit any of the St. Joseph County Public Library or Mishawaka-Penn-Harris Public Library branches
- At the check-out desk, tell them that you are a Saint Mary's College student
- Show two forms of id
- A picture id, such as a student id, driver's license, or other government-issued id card
- An "official" document, bill, print-out, etc. with your name and dorm assignment (dated within the last 60 days)
Can't find an “official document” with your name and dorm assignment on it? We can help!
Why would I want a public library card?
A card from the public library can provide you with many options for leisure reading, as well as research.
You will be able to:
- Check out books
- Check out eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines
- View streaming video on Kanopy platform
- Use subscription databases offered by the public library in your dorm room
Borrow eBooks from SJCPL and read on your Kindle
The Saint Joseph County Public Library has thousands of eBooks, eMagazines, eNewspapers, and more that you can borrow to read on your device without ever leaving your dorm. Need more information? Contact a Saint Mary's librarian!